Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The DISC Basics (and I do mean basic)

I originally set up this blog for people who already had a basic understanding of DISC and were looking for ways to apply it to parenting. I've since had some requests for a little more explanation of the DISC model of personality differentiation, so here it is...
The premise is this: there are four basic personality types and we are all a unique blend of traits that belong to one or more of these types. DISC has the simplest method of determining your personality type than any model I've seen. It goes something like this... First answer the question, "Are you outgoing or reserved?" And then answer the question, "Are you people oriented or task (or detail) oriented?" If you're not sure and seem to be pretty evenly divided between one or the other, pick the one you lean toward the most. Once you've answered those questions, you should be able to say, "I am an outgoing, people oriented person." or "I am a reserved, task oriented person." or whatever your specific combination is. You get the idea. Now, refer to the graphic on the right (the circle with the four quadrants identified by the letters D, I, S, and C). One of these will be your primary personality type, but like I said, you'll have traits from the other types blended in.
The D personality type is outgoing and task oriented. They are outspoken and driven. They like to be in control. Think of words like dominant, doer, demanding, etc.
The I personality type is outgoing and people oriented. These are the fun, life-of-the-party types. They like recognition and are upbeat, positive people. Words like influential and inspirational help to remember the I type.
The S personality type is reserved, but people oriented. They are sweet, shy and like stability. These are not boat rockers. They are, however, team players. Plus, they're just nice.
The C personality types are reserved and task oriented. They are careful, critical and calculating. They like routine and order and can be perfectionists. They thirst for information.

So there's a basic (really basic) overview. People write entire books on the subject and I just reduced it to a couple of lines. But it's a start. I'll do some more parenting posts where I focus on one personality type at a time, so check back soon!

2 comments:

Stinson Anderson said...

Good post. But I am a bit biased. :-)

Stinson Anderson said...

When will there be another post?