Monday, November 24, 2008

DISC vs. Meyers Briggs

Okay, this one's not so much about kids... I was doing a little research this week into other personality style tests just to see how some of them compare to DISC. The most common test used is the Meyers Briggs "personality style indicator." I found quite a bit written on Meyers Briggs and read for hours. But the more I read, the less I knew. It was unbelievably non-user friendly. I'm sure it's easy enough if you've, say, done your graduate studies in it. But for the average person to understand it, much less use it, is highly unlikely. I did a self assessment which was a little confusing; the questions were pretty abstract. My style ended up being "ASDFJKL;" or some crazy thing like that (okay, I might have made that up, but it was close). And whatever your style is, it supposedly never changes over your entire life, which is unrealistic. At any rate, it was too complicated to put into any practical application. And therein lies the beauty of DISC. Anyone can learn the basic principles and begin applying them easily. If you know enough about a person to know if they're outgoing or reserved,and if they're people or task oriented, you're good. You can then take what you've learned and adjust your interaction with that person so that you "speak their language." It's all about communication. If we understand each other, we're going to be able to work together much more effectively. Common sense, right? But you know what they say about common sense... it's anything but common.

No comments: