Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Our oldest daughter and her husband are expecting their first child. In fact, he's overdue. So she calls the other day and says, "Well, I tried to tell the baby how fun we are, thinking that if he was an "I," he'd want to come out. Didn't work. So then I tried giving him a list of pro's and con's so he could evaluate whether or not it was a good idea to come out. Didn't work... not a "C." So I'll talk really sweetly to him today and see if that works." So far, no baby. She may have to raise her "D."
I had to laugh, but it thrilled me just to see her applying her knowledge of DISC in an everyday situation. Imagine the difference it could make in a person's life if they were taught at a young age the principles of personality differentiation and how to communicate effectively with any temperament... interaction with friends, teachers, family. The first thing I noticed personally was a new tolerance- -tolerance for differences. But then it grew beyond tolerance to an appreciation. I need other peoples' strengths. They need mine. How critical it is to get this information into the hands of parents and educators.
One final triumphant note... my twelve year old son came home from school a couple of weeks ago and told me he'd made a new friend. I asked him what his new friend was like and he said, "Oh, you'd love him, Mom. He's off the charts 'I'!" It's working!

No comments: